Calling Expat Writers for a New Anthology
Sorry, this call for submissions is now closed.
The online ex-pat writing community I belong to, Writers Abroad, will be publishing its 5th anthology in autumn 2015, entitled Kaleidoscope. Please see the call for submissions below.
You’ll find links to our four previous anthologies under the Books tab, above.
Writers Abroad Anthology 2015
Call for Submissions – Short Stories, Flash Fiction and Poetry.
Writers Abroad will be publishing their fifth anthology, entitled Kaleidoscope, in autumn 2015.
Writers Abroad are seeking submissions of short stories, flash fiction and poetry on the theme of light, as 2015 is the International Year of Light and Light-based Technologies.
The theme is open to interpretation: your light might dispel evil, or reveal something unexpected in the darkness; perhaps your character ‘sees the light’ in a revelation; or light may have an important role in your setting. Firelight can destroy or warm and illuminate; or you may be inspired by the difference in light in other countries.
The anthology will be print published and later available as an e-book.
This year Writers Abroad will be donating all profits made to Room to Read, an international charity striving for a world in which all children can pursue a quality education, reach their full potential and contribute to their community and the world. To achieve this goal, they focus on two areas: literacy and gender equality in education. They work in collaboration with communities and local governments across Asia and Africa to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the life skills they’ll need to succeed in school and beyond.
Author Christopher Allen will be writing the foreword for this anthology. He is the author of Conversations with S. Teri O’Type (a Satire), an episodic adult cartoon about a man struggling with expectations. Allen’s writing has appeared in a wide range of publications. A finalist at Glimmer Train in 2011, Allen has been nominated for Best of the Net and the Pushcart Prize twice.
To see our previous Anthologies (2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013) please visit Writers Abroad.
Submission and Entry Rules
Please read carefully as submissions may be rejected if they don’t comply:
- Contributors must be expat or former expat writers who are living or have lived outside their country of origin.
- Word Count:Fiction – 1700 words; Flash Fiction – 500 words; Poems – 30 lines. Entries above these specifications will not be accepted
- All submissions must be previously unpublished either in print or online
- Open for submissions between Friday 1st May and Monday 15th June 2015
- Submissions must be in English
- Manuscripts must be submitted via the link to Submittable at Writers Abroad
- Queries can be made only via the contact button on the Submissions page
- Entries are free
- Only one entry per author
- Each author should include a third person biography of a maximum of 40 words, which includes information about their expat status and website/blog address
- Successful authors will be informed within two weeks after the closing date
- We cannot provide feedback on submissions, but successful stories may be edited and authors required to make minor changes for publication purposes
- Copyright will remain with the author and the stories will be published in an anthology in a number of formats
- All entrants must be over 18.